Thursday, June 17, 2010

Yummies

This sandwich may not look like much, but trust me it was.  I branched out from my usual "club" sandwich (oh, I'm just mad for hard-boiled eggs on a sandwich and the club has them a-plenty... with jambon to boot!), and tried a "Provincial."  Of course, I've found a favorite sandwich shop, so there was already a level of trust.  (By the way, one of my requirements for a sandwich shop is a menu of options on display since my French ain't so hot and neither is my imagination to make up sandwich varieties.  You've gotta give me something to choose from.)

OK... so this "Provincial."  It was sliced chicken with emmental, grilled chopped veggies (onion, eggplant, zucchini) tossed with some balsamic, and topped with microgreens.  Oh, and the bread was perfection, as well.  Such a perfect sandwich.  Shoot.  Now I'm craving it....




This has become my favorite snack.  Cheese with this delicious forest berry jam on slices of bread.  Here it is with a chevre, but I've also got a Tomme de Savoie that I top with the jam, as well.  Mmmm....





This may be the freshest, most delicious nougat on earth!  There was a new nougat guy at the market yesterday, so I had to dig in.  He had so many varieties--nougat with cherries, nougat with figs, even nougat with speculoos (more on those later), but I wanted to try his basic nougat with lavender honey and almonds first.  All of the ingredients were fresh and organic, and it's quite evident.  What a moist and fluffy slice o'nougat.  Well done, nougat guy!






This is speculoos ice cream.  Speculoos is a biscuit rampant in Brussels.  And, boy, are they tasty.  Turns out, they use 'em to flavor ice cream, as well.  (Oh!  I once bought a mustard on tap at the Maille store in Paris that was flavored with speculoos, as well.  Yums.)  Where had this ice cream flavor been all my life?!?  Because we are totally best friends now.  LOVE.  It almost tastes like the ice cream is the flavor of the cone.  But this is a good thing.  Really.






Cochino's prezzy from the market--cat grass!






Went back to Cafe des Spores last night.  It is truly some of the best food in Brussels.  And such a great space, as well.  Had to take a (crappy iPhone) photo of this boiled egg topped with truffles.  Oh... those... truffles....





Recent selections... the Palm is a nice, easygoing one.  Nothin' fancy.  And I figured it was high time I sampled some gueuze and some kriek--especially since the kriek is "St Louis" brand.  Love that.  Of course, these are the more mainstream brewers of gueuze and kriek.  Now I need to get out there and drink some on tap!





Someone just *had* to model with the bottles.






Same someone knows that she should not be on the kitchen table, but here is heartily yawning upon being awoken from a nap.