Saturday, May 8, 2010

Travel to Ternat

I had a meeting with a recruiter in Ternat yesterday. Ternat is just outside the city of Brussels. It feels like small-town USA... except that everything's in Flemish. And the buildings look different. But you know, it's the feeling.

I took the commuter train out there. There was a snafu at the train station wherein my American accent garnered me a ticket to something I remember as "Tornaught"... but luckily I caught the mistake and a new ticket to TERNAT was issued--and I was reimbursed 14 euros. Score.

I quite enjoyed riding the train outside of the city. I'm always interested in seeing the housing stock along the way and how people live. What really caught my eye were all of the small farms. I guess they could still be called farms, but really they were more like backyards with animals in them. My favorite was a "farm" with 6 ostriches (yes, I counted) combined with what looked to be miniature deer. They were all just chillin' together in the same pen. Loved it. Wish I had a picture, though.




This is a shot from the train station at Ternat. It's kind of exciting when the train comes through to take you back to the big city!


Markings in Ternat... "Littel Prinsess"... yeah.




This is a castle-y thing I stumbed upon walking to the Gare du Midi in Brussels. Yeah, I need to figure out what it is, but here are some pics.