Wednesday, May 5, 2010

First Impressions of Brussels

It has been cold. And windy. And sometimes rainy. I feel less pressure to get out and explore everything despite the weather because I know I'll be here permanently soon enough. Summer is right around the corner, so I will be up for exploring then. Plus, I'm really here to interview, meet with recruiters, and *ahem* find a j-o-b.

But here are some snaps from around town the other day...


A lovely park in Sint-Gilles. There was a tap-tap blind guy and some ruffians hanging out behind the shrubbery, so I didn't really explore further. Love the green space, though. (Don't love the potential for mugging or mayhem.)


Park rules, cartoon style. Hope someone told the blind guy.


Horta-inspired door. There is much lovely, art nouveau architecture by (and inspired by) the famous Belgian architect Victor Horta in Sint-Gilles and Ixelles.


I was going to call, but...


Church of St. Bernard sign. I think this is still an active church, as I saw some nuns scurrying out from inside. (Or maybe that's a sign of its inactivity...)


Lots of graffiti, lots of outspoken graffiti.


There he is! The peeing baby himself, Mannekin Pis! We caught him on a naked day, as he is usually dressed in some garish costume. Kinda nice to see him as he is on our first meeting. Bought some delicious nougat around the corner from here. Sure, it was a touristy area and we could have bought some, um, less commercial nougat somewhere else. But it was delicious nonetheless.


Looking down on the lower city, no haughtiness implied.


Yikes!!! The hotdogs come in glass jars here. And these were the girth-iest of the bunch. More on fun treats at the markets, for sure!