Monday, May 10, 2010

My Stylin' Mom

Well, Urban Outfitters was looking to post pictures of stylish moms on their blog (long story, that), so this got me thinking... I would go ahead and show off my mom on my own blog.

So it's the day after Mother's Day, but it still counts! Here are some of the photos she sent me recently. Oh, and here's what I told the UO peeps about why I look up to my mom's style:

-------------
My mom taught me the "rules" of fashion (no white before Memorial Day; matching your shoes, belt, and bag), then inspired me to break them. She was (and still is) up on all of the trends of the time, but always with a ladylike flair and her own personal touches. Her style in the 60s and 70s--though distinctly of those eras--still looks fresh and not costumey. She taught me that it's worth it to spend a little more for that special, distinctive piece you will have for a lifetime.
--------------


And here's the slideshow! (And if some of the scan are kinda wonky it's because my mom scanned them herself. And I don't know how fix 'em. We are a great "computer" team. heh.)

Prim n' proper with the big hair. Also, are those gloves? I think so. Loves gloves!


The pom-pom hat. The action pose. The fur coat.


Fancy at a wedding with my dad. Check out the brocade suit and the hairpiece. And gloves again...


So cute!



Grandma and mom. She recently gave me the big black fur hat she's wearing in this one.


With Holly. Love the checkerboard maxi dress.



On her honeymoon in 1966. Love everything about this one. Wish I could get a close-up on the Scandinavian-inspired shoes.



Dolphin feeding.



The family.



In SF with my pops.

So you can see where I get my interest in all things stylish, hmm? (Note to self: need to wear more gloves!) Thanks, Mom, for everything you do for me--especially for your recent trips to Philly. You are the best!