Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Past Couple of Months

As my last week in Brussels winds down (OK, I'm being dramatic... I'll be back.  Just have to go back to the States for a few months to sort out my visa.), here are some things from the past couple of months that have slipped through the posting cracks.

Watch out, 'cause I'm x-large-ing 'em, people!


Filou (il "adore les gateaux") eyes the custard pie that never was.  Well, the pie was... it was full of lousy custard.  I am starting to suspect my oven... the cake I made today took 15 minutes longer than the estimated bake time.  I'm watching you, oven!




This is cod with yummy breadcrumb/caper/parsley stuff on top.  Did I post this already?  brumpf!



Remember that time I made blanquette de veau because we arrived late at the only grocery nearby that was open on Sunday and grabbed the last (literally, the LAST) package of meat of any kind, which happened to be veal belly?  Meat roulette!  Not a bad way to baptize the Le Creuset into the European ways.




My lunch buddy.



Oh!  This is a good one!  I took it for the "Big Pizza" brand of pizza TUNA-flavored pizza.  (Yeah, there is lots of seafood on the supermarket pizzas here.)  But then I noticed the "Boston" flavor that Big Pizza also offers.  Do you know what's on the Boston variety?  Cream cheese and spinach, friends.  Now that's a hard choice:  tuna or cream cheese and spinach.  Seeing as none of the frozen pizzas fit into my measly little freezer here, I'll go with neither.  But gross and gross.



Pretty ladies making cocktails on a lovely night at Lynsey's.  Actually, I think that is the ouzo we were preparing to drink out of mugs.  Take that!



I just like it.



A great wine bar just across from the church in Place Brugmann.  



You can take your bottle and food treats across the street and hang out by the church and they'll come check on you over there.  Love that.




Bring it.




This is a Japanese-style of beer that is actually brewed in Belgium.  Super-delicious and served in a lovely mug.  Oh yeah, it's at Nonbe Daigaku, and that place is the shizz.  It's the best Japanese we've found here.  Seriously reminds me of Kihachi.  A super-talented, older chef knocking it out of the park.  I haven't been to that many sushi joints in Brussels yet, but they say that he offers things that most don't here.  Can't wait to go back.