Sunday, January 12, 2014

Scenes from St. Louis

I spent about 11 days in my hometown, which happened to be about 20 degrees F warmer than Stockholm at the time.  I'll take it!  It was a pretty relaxing time, though I was on the go a bunch.  There's never enough time when I'm home, but I got in some quality time with those I love.  Still, it was sad to go.

Here are some photos.



Hilde, the fat cat living in suburban luxury.




She's a darling, even if she's not a big snuggler--though I do force that issue, believe it.




I went with my parents to see that movie Jerusalem at the IMAX in the Science Center.  First, the Science Center is FREE!  But it also kinda sucks, so there's that.  There is a giant animatronic T. Rex and Brontosaurus scene happening, but after I deemed it un-Instagrammable (bad angles) I was bored.  The most exciting part was when my kitten heel got caught in the wonky hem of my coat and I nearly ate shit on the stairs in front of the T. Rex jam.  Talk about almost making myself extinct!  Har har!

Oh right, I was gearing up to slam that Jerusalem movie, though maybe my beef is actually with the whole IMAX/Omnimax/70 mm format.  (I mean, Benedict Cumberbatch did narrate Jerusalem so that counts for something.)  But yeah, initializing slam...  I had seen something on the IMAX years and years ago and remember thinking it was cool to be flying above the world or in outer space or whatever it was.  I just remember thinking 70 mm was pretty awesome.  Oh, how much I've wimped out in 20 years.

As we (and the rest of the grey hairs--it was a mid-day Tuesday showing) ascended to take our seats (they let you into the theater at the bottom), I already had a bad feeling.  That biz is steep.  Vertigo alert!    (How do the olds manage when my 38-year-old self can barely hang?)  We found our spot and not only did I feel like I was gonna fall out of my seat if I leaned over too far, but damn that screen is close-to-the-OSE.

The movie started and at the opening (swirling, no doubt) shot, my mom and I looked at each other with "oh shit" eyes and weak stomachs.  This was gonna be bad.  Real bad.  The movie kept going--zooming, spiraling, sweeping--and I wanted to leave.  But how to get down the row (past the other seniors) and navigate the steep stairs to get the hell out??  Attempting to leave could play out worse than me just sitting there with my eyes closed, thinking un-nauseating thoughts.  So I stayed.  But seriously, no one needs to be THAT close.  I am not that close to people in real-effing-life, why do I want to be that close on a screen?  This thing is trying to be realer than life, and I guess it is.  Also, the zooming and panning?  I could appreciate the beautiful scenery more if you could just leave the camera in place for a freaking minute so I could really take it all in.  Quit flying me around!  Yuck, yuck, barf.  The director's name is Daniel Ferguson and I know because I plan to write him a letter.  I am trying to be more eloquent than "Go fuck yourself", however.  I'll get there.


The best part of the IMAX day was visiting Uncle Leo at his home in Dogtown. His home is meticulous--everything tidy and in its place.  I wanted to snap more photos, but it was sorta dark in there.  Still, cool.









 My mom treated me to a pedicure.  Fancy times.



I took to ordering my coffee in the St. Louis Bread Co. drive through.  I mean, why should I have to exit my vehicle to get a cuppa?  (Ha!  I just remembered the garrulous guy working inside who kept going on about Jody Foster [with a bit of Streep bashing, even] while he made my CUP-paccino.)



 Lunch downtown with Maura and my mom.



 Katie brought some ancient photos to brunch one day.  Check out the babies below!  I think this was '91.  Man, I used to love that Nanette Lepore dress.



 Making cookies with the little ladies!  What a great night.



Aunt Helen tries glögg on Christmas day!  We had the cognac version.