Sunday, January 12, 2014

Fashion + Chess

One of the highlights of my trip to St. Louis was the current exhibition at the World Chess Hall of Fame, A Queen Within.  First of all, that says World.  So, FACE.  St. Louis is a global city, y'all!

No, but really, this exhibit could have been dropped right into the Musee des Arts Decoratifs, as is.  It's legit.  St. Louis is lucky to have an exhibit of this caliber on, so if you live there and you haven't seen it yet--go.  Really, GO.  It is stellar.

You can read more about the show here.  There is tons of McQueen, some Margiela and Viktor & Rolf and Iris Van Herpen, but also some newer/smaller/indie-er folks like Minju Kim (you know I love) and Vibskov and Sandra Backlund... which leads me to the fact that the whole thing was curated by a Swedish lady called Sofia Hedman.  Just more evidence that Swedes are everywhere.  Also also, the custom headpieces by Charlie Le Mindu are extraordinary.  I would have paid just to see them, honestly.  You can see some here






I am interested to see where the exhibit will go next, as I heard they're in talks for it to travel.  I hope more people can see it, as it's really great.

Besides all of this, it's a fine museum and the hall of fame part is good, too.  I wish I'd had more time to read about the inductees, but luckily there's a bit of that online, as well.